WWE Royal Rumble Preview And Predictions




Welcome one and all to my preview and predictions blog for the most exciting live special of the year, Royal Rumble. Before Sunday both NXT UK and NXT have a chance to showcase what makes them special at Worlds Collide. Check out my preview for that event too.

 As always if you have any comments or feedback on this or any other of my posts leave a comment in the section below this post or by following me on Twitter and Instagram.

The road to Wrestlemania has well and truly started and Royal Rumble is arguably the best event apart from Mania itself. There are obviously the two 30 person matches that will be the focal point but, there are also some noteworthy matches on the card, I will add to the card if any more are announced before the event. As always I will be talking about the matches in no particular order.


1. Shorty G Vs. Sheamus: This match came out of nowhere with a brogue kick to an unsuspecting Shorty G. Sheamus has been AWOL for a long while due to healing up from numerous injuries but, he hasn't been resting up too much as he looks to be in incredible shape, the best he's been in since his debut, and he looks like he has a lot to prove to the WWE Universe. Shorty G has been gaining a lot of traction since his character and name change but, hopefully this match will show how both men are overlooked. Hopefully this won't be a glorified squash but, I still think Sheamus will come out on top.


2. WWE United States Championship: Andrade (C) Vs. Humberto Carrillo: These two are on the cusp of becoming main event players on WWE television and I can't wait to see what the future holds for both Carrillo and Andrade, who had an incredible set of matches with Rey Mysterio culminating with their ladder match. Hopefully both men continue to get the attention and TV time they both deserve. This match may prove to be the surprise hit of the night. Both men have a similar style with Carrillo favouring the more high flying Luchador style whilst Andrade using a hybrid style. This match will have some incredible action but, I think Andrade will probably pick up the win with the not so subtle assist to Zelina Vega.


3. Smackdown Women's Championship: Bayley (C) Vs. Lacey Evans: Bayley has had a great run since ditching the Bayley buddies and side ponytail and I love it. I was really bored of the old character and felt that this change was almost career saving for Bayley. Partner Bayley with Sasha Banks and they are easily the most dominating force in the Smackdown women's division. Lacey Evans has undergone a bit of a character change of her own, endearing herself more with the WWE Universe as of late. This match, like the United States Championship match, could be a surprise hit of the night. Both Bayley and Evans are looking for a way to get noticed ahead of what is happening on RAW and this match may do that. I think Sasha may be a factor on the result of this match but, I think it may be in Evans favour with Banks costing Bayley her match.


4. Falls Count Anywhere: Roman Reigns Vs. King Corbin: I must say that I've been a little on the fence with the feud between King Corbin and Roman Reigns. I love what Corbin are Reigns are doing, proving that you don't need a championship to be the top story on the show. The issue I have is the insistence on using childish gimmicks like dog food to highlight how much Corbin dislikes Reigns. I love the addition of Ziggler and Roode as Corbins court and I feel that they really highlight Corbin as a bad guy. This match should be a hard hitting match with action probably going all over the gigantic stadium like the Attitude era Hardcore matches. I think the last minute addition to this story of The Usos will prove to make the difference and allow Roman Reigns to come out with the win.


5. RAW Women's Championship: Becky Lynch (C) Vs. Asuka: I have loved the build for this match so much. Asuka is the only person to beat Becky Lynch in the last year or so and it's become the focal point of the whole story. Asuka, with the help of Kairi Sane, has managed to get the better of Lynch over the past few months which has sky rocketed her to being the top heel in the women's division on RAW. I think this match will be the one that has the most people talking, not only for it's placement on the card but, also because it will move the ailing women's revolution further still and will hopefully yield a rematch for Wrestlemania this year. As to who comes out with the win, I think Lynch will but, only just.


6. WWE Universal Championship Strap Match: "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt (C) Vs. Daniel Bryan: As I've mentioned a few times I am, and always have been, a huge fan of Bray Wyatt. This incarnation of his character has given him the exposure and attention that he sorely needed, proving that even with the most bizarre of characters he can not only make it work but, really propel it into a fan favourite. Daniel Bryan is finally back in the position he should be after a slightly sub par character change and pairing with Rowan. This story has been a little on the pantomime side but, has been entertaining enough. The addition of the strap stipulation is a little odd but, makes sense in the story, giving The Fiend nowhere to run or hide from the angry Bryan. I can't see The Fiend losing his championship any time soon but, I think Bryan will give another banner performance even if he loses the match.


7. Women's Royal Rumble Match: I can't believe we are now getting the third women's Royal Rumble match. I am so thankful that this match exists as it gives the women from all three brands a platform to really showcase themselves in the same way the men's match has done over the years. This year is no different. With only 5 of the participants being announced there is room for some surprise returns or legends making an appearance. People like Sarah Logan, Liv Morgan, Mandy Rose and Sonya Deville should have stand out performances as they are in emerging positions on RAW and Smackdown. I would love to see Shayna Baszler, Bianca Belair, Candice LaRae and Io Shirai have stand out performances too. I can see Nia Jax and Ruby Riott making returns throughout the match too. As for the winner I can't really put a obvious winner out there. I think Charlotte Flair or Sasha Banks could be in with a chance and I also think Natalya will have a chance too. I would love to see Baszler win and set up an encounter with Becky Lynch or Bayley at Wrestlemania.


8. Men's Royal Rumble Match: This match is a little bit easier to predict than the women's match. BORKKKY LAZAR is going to be in the match as the champion and is entering number one. What does this mean for the match as a whole ? who bloody knows. I would love to say that what we'll get is a David and Goliath style story where Ricochet will come in and eliminate BROCKKKKKKKKKKK in a fashion not seen since Maven eliminated The Undertaker, we probably won't. I think there will be some decent showings for the ever entertaining New Day and the returning John Morisson. I would love to see Keith Lee make an appearance and really cement how much of a future WWE Champion he is. If I really got what I wanted I would get the predictable fan boy entrant of CM Punk coming in and eliminating BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK LESSSSSSSNARRR but, I highly doubt that will happen. A boy can dream though. As for the winner I can see the predictable happening but, I think the not so obvious Cain Velasquez will probably win setting up the rematch nobody ever asked for at Wrestlemania.

Comments