NXT Takeover: Portland Preview And Predictions



Welcome one and all to my preview and predictions blog for the upcoming NXT Takeover special in Portland. This is one of the last stops for the NXT Brand before Wrestlemania weekend and it promises to be a good one. As always I will be talking about the matches in no particular order.

If you have any comments or feedback on this or any of my other posts leave a comment in the section below this post or by following me on Twitter and Instagram.


1. Finn Balor Vs. Johnny Gargano: This match was supposed to take place at WarGames but, Johnny Gargano was injured in and altercation with Balor and inadvertently this story line was given a little bit more of a build.  This match has been built in a way that really cements Balor as one of, if not, the top heel on the brand. I am so happy seeing Balor become so much more than a forgotten entity as he was on Smackdown and Raw. Johnny Gargano has hit a bit of a stumbling block since returning to the NXT ring. This match will be a sleeper match on the card that will probably be talked about more than a few of the matches on the card. Both men have similar styles and will bring the best out of each other. I think Balor will come out with the win to continue this feud into Wrestlemania season.


2. NXT Tag Team Championship: Bobby Fish And Kyle O'Reilly (C) Vs. Matt Riddle And Pete Dunne: Fish and O'Reilly have been on a roll as of late, and I must be honest I thought they would win the Dusty Classic this year. I really wish they had more TV time but, that is a minor gripe. The unexpected team of Matt Riddle and Pete Dunne, The Broserweights, have gelled well together in a short amount of time and it has added a new dimension to Pete Dunne's character. This match should be a great mix of hard hitting action and submission wrestling that should have something for everyone. I would love to say that Riddle and Dunne will come out on top but, I think Fish and O'Reilly will retain the gold going into Wrestlemania.


3. Street Fight: Dakota Kai Vs. Tegan Nox: This match was one that I never really knew I needed until the feud kicked off. Both competitors have a wealth of talent and will be the future faces of the NXT brand, injury permitting. Dakota Kai has reinvented herself in a way that is reminiscent of Bayley and I love it. Nox is still finding her feet in NXT but, I really think that this is the feud that will set both apart from the rest of the field. With top talent like Baszler and potentially Belair and Ripley heading to Smackdown or Raw now might be the time for Nox and Kai to establish themselves. This will be an intense match with both exploiting injuries and showing a real physicality not seen too much in the NXT women's division. I think Kai will come out with the win.


4. NXT North American Championship: Keith Lee (C) Vs. Dominick Dijakovic: This match is something we've all seen before but, haven't seen nearly enough of yet. Keith Lee is rising through the ranks of not only NXT but, WWE as a whole and has had some landmark moments reasonably early into his tenure in the company. Dijakovic is a talent that I feel is flying under the radar a little bit and suffers from lack of mic time a little bit but, what I have seen of him I have been more than impressed. Both men have a brilliant hybrid style, proving that big men can be more than one dimensional monsters. This should be another stand out match on an incredible card on the whole but, I really think that both men are top talents in not only NXT but, WWE in years to come. I can't see Lee's momentum slowing any before Wrestlemania so I think he will come out with the win.


5. NXT Women's Championship: Rhea Ripley (C) Vs. Bianca Belair: Rhea Ripley and Bianca Belair are both having incredible moments in their career right now. Ripley is finally grabbing the attention of the audience that she should have gotten when she became the first ever NXT UK women's champion last year. She continues to really show a different side to the women's division that her opponent shows too. Bianca Belair is a phenomenal athlete and doesn't get nearly enough attention or credit for being one of the top female talents in the WWE today. Her performance in the Royal Rumble was a real eye opener for anyone who might not watch the NXT brand. This should be another banner moment for both, highlighting their strength and ability in abundance. I can't see Rhea losing her championship when she has a potential match with Charlotte Flair at Wrestlemania but, I think their might be chance of a third being added to that match in the shape of the EST of NXT.


6. NXT Championship: Adam Cole (C) Vs. Tommaso Ciampa: This match has been teased and built for what feels like an age but, I really think this will be well worth the wait. Adam Cole is a polarising character. He has the support of a number of the NXT universe but, is supposed to be the bad guy. Likewise when Tommasso Ciampa was supposed to be the top bad guy he almost became an anti hero and was adored by the NXT universe. I am glad that no stipulations have been added to this match because this match simply doesn't need them. This should be easily on the top 10 matches of the year list and we're only in February. This should be a great match that should set up a main event match for Wrestlemania weekend. I think that Cole will retain but, I think Velveteen Dream will determine the outcome setting up a triple threat match for Wrestlemania weekend.



Comments