The 52 In 52 Part 50: Mid90s



Welcome one and all to part 50 of my weekly film blog, The 52 In 52. Each week I take a film from my collection that I have never watched before and I review it after first viewing. Last week I reviewed the fantastic Woman At War.

Christmas is coming soon and if you're looking for a gift for the collector or just pop culture fan in your life check out PopInABox. With a vast collection of every day to site exclusive items PopInABox has everything for your Funko fix. They also do monthly subscription boxes. If you use my sign up code you will get money off of your first order. Click the PopInABox link to visit and get money off.

As always if you have any comments or feedback on this or any other post leave a comment in the section below or by following me on Twitter and Instagram.

This week I will be reviewing the 2018 directorial debut of Jonah Hill, Mid90s. The story of Mid90s follows the life of 13 year old Stevie (Sunny Suljic), who lives with his largely absent mother Dabney (Katherine Waterston) and his overly abusive brother Ian (Lucas Hedges) as he navigates adolescence and forms a bond with local skateboarders who take him under their wing.

I really enjoyed Mid90s. I felt that there were a few missed opportunities with regards to plot holes or missing sections of story but, I felt that it was a good film. Sunny Suljic is outstanding as Stevie. There is a quality to his performance that is stronger than an actor of his age. He goes from bright eyed child following his new group of friends to emotional and down trodden by his family life effortlessly. The gang of skater friends are fantastic. There is little to no acting experience amongst the group but, that allows for a more naturalistic performance. I felt that it was a camera following around a group of friends rather than a story unfolding. Lucas Hedges puts in a fantastic performance is almost unrecognisable as Ian, who even at his most vulnerable gives very little away.

The story itself, as I mentioned, is good but, I felt missed a few details. I would have loved to have seen more of the home life of the other characters in the gang rather than having hints. I would have loved to have seen more of Stevie's home life and perhaps even what led his family to the situation they are in during the film. With that being said the story is told in a way that is a snap shot into the life and told in a way like it is a memory being recounted.

The soundtrack is a great example of the music of the generation and a brooding and hypnotic score by go to guys, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. The music is used effectively, especially during the house party scene.

The cinematography is handled well. There is a grainy, low-fi, style in which the film is shot that adds to the feeling that this film is a snap shot into the past, I felt the same whilst watching The Lords Of Dogtown, which Mid90s feels similar to without the tragedy or heightened drama or real life stories present in Lords Of Dogtown.

Overall I felt that Mid90s is a commendable directorial debut. There is a great story throughout that I felt was more of a snapshot and lacked a satisfying ending. The cast were fantastic throughout and show a promising future for Sunny Suljic.

Comments